Friday, May 4, 2012

Chapter 11

The next morning Richie was glad he had played some songs, he had missed it. He couldn’t resist it to start thinking about writing but couldn’t find a note book in his night stand or in his desk drawer. He didn’t have his iPhone for notes either. He just hoped he remembered what was going on in his mind until he found some paper to write it down. He wasn’t sure if it would become something but he had to try and see what it could become.

At breakfast he found a seat next to Sarah. “Good morning Sarah, how are you this lovely Sunday morning.” He asked with a bright smile.

Sarah chuckled. She noticed she did that a lot around him. “I’m alright. You seem cheerful this morning.” She said. “Yeah, I got to play guitar and I get to sit next to you now.” He smiled again.

Sarah chuckled again; he was so sweet to her. “You know that pond we always end up?” Richie asked after he finished a bite of his toast. “The one with the water and the tree behind it?” Sarah joked. “Yes exactly, that one!” Richie laughed. “Anyway, do you think we can go there again and maybe talk?” He asked.

Sarah just couldn’t stop laughing at his silliness, it was cute. “I think we can, I don’t have any big plans.” She couldn’t believe how comfortable she felt around him, it was so easy.



After breakfast Sarah and Richie got up together and walked to their bench. When they left the main path to step on the grass to find their bench Sarah took Richie’s hand in hers.

Richie smiled to himself and turned his hand around to hold hers. Sarah smiled too, happy Richie had returned her gesture.

As they sat down on their bench Richie didn’t let go of Sarah’s hand so she couldn’t sit too far away from him. “What do you want to talk about?” Sarah asked, looking at their joined hands. “You told me about your life so I think I should tell you about mine.” Sarah nodded, that seemed fair to her.

“So eumh,” Richie started, “I grew up in New Jersey, started playing guitar when I was 13. I went to college for a while but didn’t do well, too busy playing music. After that I got signed to a band and we’ve been playing ever since.” He said, he didn’t want to get into details yet. “You play in a band? Is that your job?” Sarah asked, so many people played in bands but good enough to live off. “Yeah, we’ve sold over 150 million records.” Richie said proudly and watched Sarah’s expression turn surprised.

“So you’re a musician? Sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll?” She asked, wondering if that was the reason he was at a rehab center. “In the beginning it was, but not anymore.” Richie said. “We left the drugs in the 80’s but alcohol always followed me. In 2007 I got divorced and my dad died and alcohol made me forget all of it but it affected my music. I was screwing up so badly, my friends talked about it and I went to rehab.” He explained.

Sarah could understand how alcohol was always within his reach, his job sort of came with it. “I’m so sorry about your dad.” Sarah squeezed his hand. “It’s been 4 years now.” Richie said somber. “But recently I started drinking again and my ex-wife threatened to take full custody of Ava if I didn’t stop drinking.” He said sadly. “But you’re doing it now, you’ll be fine and she won’t have a reason to take Ava away from you.” Sarah tried to comfort him, stroking her hand over his arm. “I know.” Richie said still sadly.

For a minute Sarah got doubts, she was unsure. Her ex-husband had been addicted to alcohol; would Richie be a safe person?

Sarah pushed her thoughts away. She liked him; she had been able to leave alcohol behind, so why wouldn’t he be able to?

She was going to support him through it, like how she wanted support all those years ago, until her time at the center was over. “So that’s your life?” Sarah asked.

Richie thought about it, sure he had mentioned it all. His life hadn’t been as difficult as Sarah’s. “Being a rock ‘n’ roll star isn’t that easy.” Richie smiled.

Sarah smiled back. “Rock music? Tell me about your band then?” She knew she probably didn’t know them. “Well we started in the 80’s Jon had recorded a song and got a contract but needed a band. I saw them playing one night and wanted to be part of it, so I went to ask Jon and all together we formed Bon Jovi.” He explained.

Sarah nodded and smiled again, she had no idea. “You don’t know Bon Jovi?” Richie was surprised, he was sure everyone knew them. Sarah just shook her head, Richie’s expression turned even more surprised which made Sarah laugh.

“Bad Medicine? Livin’ On A Prayer? Wanted Dead or Alive? You Give Love a Bad Name? Keep the Faith?”

She just shook her head with every song title he said.

“It’s My Life? Have a Nice Day?”

Again Sarah didn’t know.

“We Weren’t Born To Follow?” He asked hopeful. “No, sorry.” Sarah said. “I told you I don’t really listen to music.” Richie smiled, “Don’t be sorry, I think it’s good.” It was good, this way she had no idea who he was and wouldn’t think she knew him like people always did just because they knew his face.

He gently tucked back the locks of hair that had fallen loose while Sarah shook her head, he leaned in to reach her better.

Before Sarah knew what she doing, she had leaned into him, kissing his soft, full lips.

He softly kissed her back, not wanting to push her, his hand moved and held the back of her head as he sucked her lower lip before gently kissing her again.

Sarah didn’t want to let go, it felt so good to kiss him, to be close to him.



Go to the next chapter

3 comments:

  1. Lol can't believe Sarah has never heard of Bon Jovi!!! This was a sweet chapter. I love how they were holding hands, but the end was sweet. A beautiful kiss between to people who hopefully become more than friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is SOME rock she was living under for the last few decades!
    Sarah, you gave up drinking....you can help him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't know Bon Jovi???? Love it... Great chapter. Can you become "more than friends" as Jovikitn65 said in rehab? Never have been and not sure of all the rules and regulations..... Love the chapter can't wait for the next installment....

    ReplyDelete